Thursday, May 22, 2008

Review: Flock

Flock is a relatively new "social" browser. I first heard about it when I was reading some magazine and now that its been two-weeks since I first downloaded it, its about time for me to tell you all what I think.

What is it?

Like I said before, Flock is a social browser. Basically you can connect to facebook, youtube, your blog and a lot more, all from within the browser – you never have to visit their perspective websites. It really is a lot of fun to play around with so go download it and have some fun, but here are some pros and cons first.

Pros

• Very nice layout. I’m really into programs that are aesthetically pleasing and this one did a great job at it.

• Easy first time transfer of Bookmarks and Folders from Firefox. This was great. In addition to that, integrating Blogger, Facebook, and my Gmail account was simple and just worked.

• When you first start up the browser it brings you to the “My World” page. The page consists of a RSS reader, updates from your intergrated social accounts, and your favorite videos from youtube. It also gives you an approximation of when it was last posted.

• You’re always in touch with everyone else thanks to a handy toolbar to the left of the screen.

Cons

• Once again this is in regards to the layout of the program. After being spoiled by FireFox’s ability to allow uses the chance to change up the way it looks, I’m starting to believe that every browser should be like that. Of course, this point is quite childish and is beside the point, I still must say that it would be nice.

• I’m not a big fan of the built in search box off in the corner. I don’t think I enjoy it looking through files on my computer. I have Spotlight for that.

• The blogging editor feels a bit odd to me – almost like its limited. Maybe its just that I don’t use it much, but I’m too use to the editor Blogger has to start.

• You’re always in touch with everyone else thanks to that toolbar to the left. (yes that is very bad at times.)

Bottom Line
I like it. Its not going to replace my Firefox anytime soon (and with Firefox 3 just released, it doesn’t stand much of a chance), but it is nice to use when I want to touch base with people. Of course when I don’t want to be bothered I have to stay far, far away from Flock. It would be way to bothersome to logout of everything only to log back on later. If you’re the type of person who can’t do without their social networking fix, by all means get it.

Sidenote: I hear Flock 2 is on its way soon, complete with some sort of interaction with Firefox 3 so who knows. Maybe then it might be able to fully win my web-crawling heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment